The Western Connecticut Council of Governments (WestCOG) provides assistance in regional planning, transportation, environmental management, emergency preparedness, economic development, and municipal shared services to a region of 18 municipalities and 610,000 residents.
Salary Range: $55,000-$80,000 (depending on qualifications) with a competitive benefits package
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Closing Date: Open until filled or closed
Job Description and Responsibilities
WestCOG seeks a qualified and highly-motivated person to serve as a Planner or Project Manager. The ideal candidate will provide support on a variety of transportation planning activities. Job responsibilities may evolve over time but initially are expected to include:
- Development of local and regional transportation studies and plans; and
- Assist with state and federal transportation programs; and
- Management of consultant-led planning studies; and
- Conduct data collection and statistical analysis; and
- Prepare reports and related planning documents for technical and non-technical audiences; and
- Communicate with local, state, and federal transportation officials; and
- Assist with project solicitation, review and prioritization; and
- Assist with procurement processes, including Requests for Proposals/Qualifications; and
- Facilitate public and stakeholder engagement, and
- Other tasks as assigned
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- Strong project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skills to handle multiple assignments simultaneously on-time
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Good at following protocol
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining strong working relationships with supervisors, staff, elected officials, committee members, consultants, and members of the public
- Transportation planning experience a plus
- Knowledge of regional government and Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO) is a plus
- GIS skills a plus
Education and Experience
S/he should have a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) from an accredited university in one of the following or a relevant field:
- Information systems
- Operations management
- Management science
- Public administration
- Transportation engineering
In addition to at least one year of relevant experience (more preferred).
The ideal candidate will have a high level of proficiency in:
- Spoken and written English
- Mathematics and statistics
- Information technology and information systems
The ideal candidate will be quick on his or her feet, be an innovative and creative thinker, and be highly motivated, affable, and reliable.
Salary and Benefits
Position will be filled at the Associate Planner/Planner/Senior Planner/Principal Planner, and corresponding salary of $55,000-$80,000, depending on qualifications.
WestCOG offers a competitive benefits package including: health and dental insurance; retirement contributions; vacation time; personal time; sick time; flexible work schedules; telecommuting opportunities; and employer-paid professional accreditations, memberships and conferences.
This position provides an opportunity to work in a collaborative, supportive, and motivating work environment. The employee will be stationed in WestCOG’s office located in Sandy Hook, CT. This area of Connecticut combines the rural charm of a small New England town with the sophistication and amenities of metropolitan suburbs and offers:
- High quality of life
- Close access to major cities, universities, world-class healthcare, cultural and recreational attractions
- Excellent school systems
- Access to recreational trails and many leisure activities
Applying for the Position
To be considered, applicants must have a driver’s license, access to reliable transportation, and be legally able to work in the United States.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Mr. Francis R. Pickering, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected candidates may be asked to provide additional information or to appear for a personal interview. This position will remain open until filled or closed.
WestCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.