The Western Connecticut Council of Governments (WestCOG) provides assistance in regional planning, transportation, environmental management, emergency preparedness, economic development, and municipal shared services to a region of 18 municipalities and 610,000 residents.
A Seasonal Internship to Map Stormwater Infrastructure
The Western Connecticut Council of Governments (WestCOG) is seeking several qualified candidates to serve as Mapping Technicians to assist member municipalities in meeting the State of Connecticut’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System Permit (MS4 Permit) mapping requirements. This internship is for the autumn of 2023.
Following a brief training period, the selected interns will work with WestCOG staff to independently collect field location data of relevant stormwater infrastructure such as catch basins, outfalls, and underground drain lines.
- Field data collection (up to 7 hours a day, navigating road edges in various weather conditions).
- Utilize mobile device and GIS applications to collect field data.
- Embrace safety protocols during field collection along roadsides.
- Communicate data collection challenges to WestCOG project manager.
- Digitizing features using ArcGIS Pro
- Other tasks as assigned.
The following minimum requirements are expected for this position:
- Fitness level to handle 7 hours of field data collection (light hiking in various weather).
- Access to a vehicle to access worksites across WestCOG’s 18 municipalities.
- Access to a cellular ready smart mobile device that can run either iOS or android apps. GPS dongles can be provided for enhanced accuracy.
- The applicant should have a valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background in environmental science, planning, or civil engineering.
- Experience with GIS software beneficial.
The position requires travel around WestCOG’s planning area.
Communications can be handled using virtual tools.
The WestCOG Office is located at 1 Riverside Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
The duration of the position will be from September through November 2023. Daily work hours will be flexible and dependent
The hourly rate for this position is $20; additional compensation is provided for vehicle mileage and cellular data.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis or until Sept 1st; Interested applicants can send resume to email@example.com, cover letter optional. Selected candidates may be asked to provide additional information or to appear for a remote interview.
WestCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.