WestCOG Public Safety Planning efforts includes the creation, maintenance, and implementation of the regional hazard mitigation plans, coordination with DEMHS (State, Regions 1, and Region 5), and studies into public safety regional services.
Hazard Mitigation Plans
WestCOG has published a Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan (HMP) along with 18 municipal focused HMPs (one for each community) to assess hazards and provide recommendations at the regional and local level. The HMPs are a roadmap to mitigate impacts from natural hazards as well as a bridge for FEMA grant opportunities.
Through regional partnership WestCOG works with the Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS), member communities, and neighboring COGs to prepare and plan for regional emergency response and mitigation efforts. WestCOG falls within two DEMHS planning regions, Region 1 and Region 5 and attends Steering and Full Committee meetings and advocates for its member communities.
Transportation, Emergency Support Function 1 (ESF1). As part of supporting the DEMHS regions, WestCOG coordinates with transportation planners from NHCOG, NVCOG, MetroCOG to develop and strategize transportation planning issues related to emergency management functions across DEMHS Regions 1 & 5.
Public Safety Studies and Reports
- Special & Functional Needs Sheltering Planning Guide (2016)
- I-84 and Route 7 Expressway Emergency Diversion Plan (2011), Traffic Diversion Maps (2011)
- HV Mutual Aid Agreement for Emergency Response and Recovery Activities (2010)
- Enhancing Public Health Emergency Mutual Aid in the HV Region (2006)
- Salt Marsh Advancement Zone Assessments for WestCOG Coastal Communities (2014)