Elections officials warn voters that Election Day registration is an option of last resort.

For the first time ever, Election Day registration will be available to voters in Connecticut for a presidential contest. However, officials are urging voters NOT to make Election Day Registration their first option.

Election Day registration is a lengthier process for the potential elector as the law requires the applicant to submit proof of both residence and identity and if the applicant was registered in another town, the admitting officials must contact the previous municipality to be sure a vote has not been cast there.

This will heavily impact wait times on Election Day on Tuesday November 8.  Election Day registration —sometimes referred to as same-day registration—has been available in Connecticut since 2013 but this is the first time it will be available for a presidential election.

Because we anticipate long lines for those who are not yet registered on Election Day, we recommend that you register in advance.  Voter Registration is available in person at Registrars and Town Clerks offices, at public libraries, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and other state agencies, online (24/7), and by mail. The deadline to register is November 1.

It is important to note that in order to cast a ballot on Election Day, the applicant must be registered by 8 p.m.   What this means for those relying on EDR, is that those still waiting to register to vote at 8 p.m. will not be able to participate in the election.  This is an important distinction as the statutes permit individuals who are already electors and in line by 8 p.m. at their polling places to remain in line to cast a ballot.

In anticipation of exceptionally high voter turnout this year, the Secretary of the State’s Office  is encouraging all potential new voters to  register to vote prior to election day,  or as early as possible in EDR locations which will open at 6:00 a.m.  Please call your local Registrars offices for polling place locations and EDR locations or check your town and state websites for additional information.

Leave a Reply